Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spoiled Holy

Here's a little message I sent out to all the "Texan In Oz" followers...enjoy!

I’m sitting in the middle of an Australian freeway, steam billowing from my car’s engine, cars honking behind me. It’s 6:30 am and rush hour traffic in Oz has already picked up with stop-n-go traffic and 2 hour commutes that should take 40 minutes. Needless to say, I’m starting to feel a little stressed.

The rest of a moment was a bit of a blur, with the car breaking down SEVERAL more times on the way to it’s current resting place. There are 3 conversations I vividly remember, one where I was asked if I was from Texas, Australia (IS there such a place?!)...a 2 word conversation with a McDonald’s attendant: Handing him 2 large bottles I said “Car.” He responded “Water” empathetically and proceeded to fill them for me...and then there were the well-intentioned city trash guys:

Garbage man Bob was a bulbous-nosed fella with a rotten tooth grin. His complexion and waistline told tales of his nightly binges at the local pub.

Bob: “What’s wrong here? You’re in the way.”
Me: “Oh no! I just bought this car and don’t even have the registration papers yet!”
Bob: (pointing to small fluid tank) “Lookee here. There’s no water in your radiator cooler. Absolutely none. It’s your engine. You’re buggered.”
Me: “Um, isn’t that the windshield wiper sign on that tank? I think the water tank is here, and I filled it earlier.”
Bob: “Harumph. Gary! Come look at this lady’s car. It’s buggered.”

Gary, fidgeted a ton, obviously a little nervous at speaking to a girl, much less one with an accent! He poked in the engine a bit and told me to "Take it 1k down the road. Tell them the trash guys sent you. They’ll take care of you.”

As it turns out the local trash men have a good rep at the petrol/mechanic station.

Other than those conversations, there was a running dialogue with God that was ever-present, “Please oh please oh please help me. My dad isn’t here...You’re my dad now. Please oh please oh please help me.”

And of course, I called my earthly daddy from my cell phone and started crying as soon as I heard his voice say, "Hey babe, what's going on?"

Now, hours later, I look back at this moment and have 2 thoughts: 1. Would I have gotten outta’ bed this morning had I known all the craziness that was about to transpire? 2. I am spoiled.

I am spoiled. No seriously. Spoiled. OK, so I don’t stomp my pretty little Dolce & Gabanna encased foot every time I pass a designer store...And I don’t demand steak or even salmon every night. But, God takes care of me in every little detail I could dream of! From a job to housing to a car to school to the intricacies of the dreams He’s laid on my heart, He is fighting on my behalf. And sometimes I can’t see Him because He is in the fields fighting for me (like the angel that had to wage war with the Prince of Persia before he got to Daniel). When I walked into chapel and worship was blaring today, I just had to worship and weep, knowing that He took upon Himself the role of my dad today. He stood and made sure every detail was taken care of for my safety and care today. He will even have the fella who sold me the car fix it...I’m believing! He is involved in the big things in my life and in the little details, like helping me remember my large water bottles so I have something with which to fill my radiator tanks!

I guess I send this email, so quickly on top of my epistle yesterday to say:

Wherever you are today. He is there.

Don’t give up. He hasn’t abandoned you. He’s just fighting your battles that you can’t see.

Love YOU!

No comments: