Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hannah

The other night I was reading a few verses before hitting the hay. I like to read right Scripture right before I sleep because of that whole osmosis thing...I'd rather meditate on Scripture than on anything else while I sleep. Something about it being lifegiving....ANYWHO. I flipped open the Scripture, really tired and ready to read a few and switch the light off. Job 8:5-7 flipped on like a neon flashing light on a Vegas strip.

If you would seek God and implore the compassion of the Almighty, If you are pure and
upright, surely now He would rouse Himself for you and restore your righteous estate.
Though your beginning was insignificant, yet your end will increase greatly.

Here went my dialogue to Him: Father, surely this can't be fore me. I mean look at it...I'd be taking it totally out of context! Bilhad said this to Job. BILHAD. One of the friends that You criticize. Is anything he says any good? How do I know it's for ME??? What if I'm just really reaching here for something. Maybe I just really want a promise from You and I'm conjuring one up from a passage that says nothing of the kind.

His dialogue to me: Annetta. Breathe.

So, being the good little seminarian that I am, I looked up Hebrew roots to words and meditated on what it meant for me to be pure and holy today. I came up with a list even. Bugger me. I can't ever seem to rid myself of legalism. But the list remained for the evening and even into the next morning through my quiet time...until the evening hit again. And I started looking deeper into Hebrew.

My dialogue to Him: Ok Father. IS THIS REALLY FOR ME? Why am I so arrested with the passage? What are You trying to say? Am I hearing things?

His dialogue to me: Breathe deep of Me. Keep reading.

Back to Him: Ok Father, but it seems like I'm totally taking this out of context. My professors would be so annoyed at me for ignoring all Biblical Hermeneutics rules.

So back I went to the passage. Hmmm, let's start from the beginning of the passage tonight...the Hebrew for "implore the compassion": lit. Chanan, meaning gracious, full of grace, it's the Hebrew word Hannah. Modern day equivalents are names Ann, Anita, Annetta, etc.

Needless to say, I started freaking out. I had been asking if this promise was for me. He took the time to write me name in the middle of it to say, "Indeed little one, this is a token of My Great Love for you in that I give you a covenant of things to come."

How I needed this pinpoint of light in this journey!

Beautiful One....

No comments: